Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Ken Nordine - Colors (1967)

Renaissance man and voice actor Ken Nordine released some of the hippest jazz albums of the 50's and 60's. His Word Jazz recordings are profound, prolific, occasionally subliminal and at times philosophical.

Nordine's commercial work falls in all those categories as well. He's the everyman whom you've heard a million times and yet can never place him. That's his magic.

Ken Nordine's Colors album is crescendo that encompases both world's beautifuly to exemplify what makes his work special.

Originally done as a series of Fuller paint ads, the campaign proved to be extremely popular. Thus, Ken jotted down several more color-based tracks and recorded this album.

The original album is sought after and hard to find in the wild, and the compact disc is many a year out of print as well and can sometimes run up in price. I got my copy by accident! A friend of mine called me to as if I wanted him to buy a copy of Nordine's "Twink" and I'd reimburse him later... I said YES and when I got it, it was a perfect Twink cover, but with a near mint copy of Colors inside.

Nordine? He's still at it! He blogs, he podcasts, he's 95 years old and has a facebook. May he live forever, and reside in your subconscious.

Download album here!

3 comments: